Thanksgiving Weekend

I have to admit, after a long 4-day Thanksgiving weekend, I was ready and excited to get  back to work on Monday.  I know, who says that after days of turkey, family, and… no work. Haha.  When Thanksgiving came last week, I was sooo ready for a break!  And I got such a nice break that I was ready to hit the ground running this week.

As with most things in my life, thanksgiving did not go as planned.  First of all, every Thanksgiving since I could remember, we’ve been going to my Aunt Debbie’s.  The entire family on Dad’s side gather in her house, watch football, go sledding outside (cuz we always have snow on thanksgiving in VT!), eat some yummy food, and play games/cards. Well, this year we weren’t doing that (Grandma wanted a small gathering this year instead), and Avery was supposed to spend Thanksgiving in Boston with his Dad and Grandma, AND my sis was in Texas, so Thanksgiving ‘plans’ were really up in the air.  I had friends in Boston I could join (Thanks everyone for offering!), or I could do the trek to and from Boston twice in the long weekend and come back to VT to spend it with my parents – and I was really leaning to doing that because my Dad kept teasing my Mom about taking him to Olive Garden for Thanksgiving (since Sarah and I weren’t around), and I couldn’t let that happen!  Plus, Mom had plans to decorate the house for the holidays and I was game for some downtime and helping her while Avery spent some time with his Dad and Grandma.

But as it turned out, on Tuesday night, Avery’s Dad and Grandma cancelled, so our plans were quickly changed.  We stayed in VT and had a fun and relaxing long weekend!

Wednesday: Our office closed early, so I made a run for it, and got in 3.63 miles before the snow hit that afternoon.  It was cold… sooo thankful for my cold weather gear I snagged weeks ago.IMG_4163

We had a fun evening, and while I was putting Avery to bed (he’s still struggling to go to sleep at night), I made some yummy truffles for Thanksgiving.IMG_4170

They took FOREVER, but the recipe was simple and I had fun decorating them…IMG_4174

I heard they were pretty yummy and Steve’s Mom wants my recipe, so I think I did OK!

Thursday:  On Turkey day, we woke up to inches and inches of snow!IMG_4185

So, we spent the morning outside… Avery helped Grampy shovel the decks off:

And we did a little sledding in the backyard where I would sled with my sister when we were kids.  Avery was a trooper and other than his first trip up, he pulled the sled up behind himself (and was so darn cute when he fell every couple steps – but he would get back up and trek on!).IMG_4200

The snow wasn’t sticky at all, so we couldn’t build a snowman, but we had fun painting the snow blue!


Avery went down for a nap, and I headed over to Steve’s house for the first of two Thanksgivings for the day.  I got my much needed glass of wine, yummy food, and some good laughs!  Although everyone liked my truffles, next year I might show up with some fancy buns and pecan pie 😉

Back at MiMi and Grampy’s house, Avery was dressed up for Turkey Day.


We all (all five of us) sat down for Thanksgiving dinner and enjoyed some yummy food and deserts.  So Thankful for everyone around this table!IMG_4212

Avery wasn’t too thrilled with the spread… he would have preffered hot dogs and mac n cheese… but he doused his turkey in ketchup and enjoyed it 🙂

Friday:  Guess who showed up on Friday morning?!  The Elf!  Avery has had so much fun looking for him the past few days.  Last year, he named the Elf, ‘Bunny’ but this year he’s just referred to as ‘Elf.’


We usually go out shopping on Black Friday: not super early, but in the morning to snag some deals, so we continued the tradition.  We hit up a bunch of stores, got poinsetta flowers for the entry (Mom gets them every year and they look so nice, especially for $1 each!), hid a few gifts from Avery, and some stores we just looked around and walked out empty handed.  I already have 90% of my shopping done, so I was good and didn’t go too crazy.  IMG_4216

Avery was super well behaved too.  It did help that Grampy took him driving around in shopping carts while Mom and I got the shopping done, but man, was he a trooper.  He picked out this tractor as a prize for being such a good kiddo for the day:


Oh and guess who we saw… Santa!IMG_4215

I can’t believe how adorable this picture came out!! I was expecting Avery to throw a fit like this one from two years ago…
I don’t have a picture from last year’s visit to see Santa, because Avery refused to sit on his lap.  So excited this year he was into it.  He asked Santa where his reindeer were and that was it, haha.  He was so shy he wouldn’t even tell Santa his name.  But candy canes were good incentives to take a nice picture 🙂

After our holiday shopping, we had a yummy late lunch at the Olive Garden (got to use a birthday gift card, finally!), and Avery was so super well behaved.  He colored, did stickers, played on the iPad, and ate so well.  Their kids’ menu is actually pretty great.  Avery even showed the waiter how to correctly tap the cheese grater after turning it (cuz we have one at home).  When we were getting up to leave, Avery said ” I’s sad because we not be here anymore’… so darn cute, and glad he had a good time.

Our last activity of our busy day out (which by the way, didn’t involve ANY accidents.  We hit the bathroom multiple times and Avery did such a great job!), was going to Church Street for the Tree and street lighting.  We got there early, and it was freezing out… so what was there to do??? Get Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream, of coarse!


Then we stood outside for a few minutes, got some cool antlers, and counted down the tree lighting.



Oh and we couldn’t leave before taking a ride on this train… oh Avery.  We went through sooo many quarters that day!IMG_4232

Saturday and Sunday: We spent the rest of the long weekend around the house.  The snow got sticky, so Avery got his snowman… with a little help from Grampy 🙂




Oh and I snagged this cute pic to compare with the one I took months ago…


I snuck in some time at night to wrap presents.


We played cars, trains, and spent some time in Avery’s tunnel.IMG_4241

Avery helped Mimi decorate with window clings:IMG_4242IMG_4246

The holiday cards I ordered came in the mail, so Avery and I sat down to ‘work’ on art projects and addressing cards in front of Frosty the Snowman (Avery loved it – so we kept it on the DVR!) while sporting his ‘giraffe ears’ as he calls his antlers, haha.


So, after a couple days at home, I was relaxed, and had spent lots of time with Avery, so when Sunday night came, I was ready to get back to our usual routine.


Although it wasn’t what we planned, or what we have done in the past, it was a nice holiday weekend 🙂

This coming weekend we’re getting the Christmas tree, and Avery is already two days into his advent calendars… ’tis the season!  I’ll share more soon –

❤ Meghan


Please leave a Comment...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s